Do you run out of hot water in your bathroom all the time? It might be all because you’re using a conventional water heater.
The joy of hot and warm water soothing your skin feels great at first, but ultimately, it runs out, sooner than expected. If you live in a household with other family members, you would know just how troublesome it could be to run out of hot water. Wouldn’t it be great to not have to waste time waiting for the hot water in your home to heat up? Wouldn’t it also be great not to have to worry about running out of hot water in the midst of a nice warm shower?
The best tankless gas water heaters are what you need and exactly what you have been looking for!
Best Tankless Gas Water Heaters 2018
We are going to list the 10 best tankless gas water heaters currently available on the market for you. We have done extensive market research to compile this list and can guarantee that you will not regret referencing this list when you are buying your very own tankless gas water heater.
Wondering which gas tankless water heater is the better option for you? Here are ten tankless gas water heater reviews for you.
- Rinnai RUC98iN Ultra Series Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater, Concentric/Twin Pipe Installation
You will no longer need to wait for your hot water supply with the Rinnai RUC98iN Ultra Series model. Placed at the second position in our list, Rinnai RUC98iN has turned out to be an ideal choice for a powerful and efficient water heater in the market in recent times. The model lives up to the word “ultra” in its name.
This water heater model features a sleek and a relatively smaller design compared to the regular tank-based water heaters. The Rinnai RUC98iN model comes with a star rating which means that it saves energy for you along with serving its actual purpose.
- Imported model featuring international design
- Specialized venting feature for PVC pipes
- Energy factor of up to .96
- Can be easily installed anywhere and saves space
- Low amount of NOx emissions
- Max BTU of 199,000
- Easily installable because of the smaller size.
- Saves energy
- More environment-friendly than other alternatives
- Is not suitable for high requirements of water.
- Takagi T-H3- DV-N Condensing High-Efficiency Natural Gas Indoor Tankless Water Heater
Another top rated water heater, the Takagi T-H3-DV-N is a marvelous water heater designed for small restaurants and beauty salons. This model complies with Ultra-Low NOx regulations and makes use of industrial grade alloy of copper for the tubing purposes. The Takagi T-H3 is specially designed for heavy usage in both residential and commercial areas. It can work flawlessly even at the altitude of 10,000 ft.
Takagi T-H3- DV-N is one of the most powerful gas water heaters in the market, which is why it features in our list.
- On-demand and uninterrupted hot water supply
- Compact design helping in space saving
- Doesn’t uses up much energy to run
- Automated safety features
- No worry about pilot lights
- Complies with 2012 SCAQMD Rule 1146.2 for Ultra-Low NOx Emissions
- Perfect for heavy usage.
- Works everywhere, from the plains to the mountains.
- Automation makes tasks simpler
- The number of showers depends on the temperature of ground water.
- Rheem RTG-64XLN 6.4 GPM Low NOx Outdoor Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater
Rheem RTG-64XLN 6.4 GPM tankless gas water heater is a flawless solution for water heating problems in your home.
Rheem maintains its reputation of offering innovative and new solutions to hot water problems. This model is energy efficient and has a space-saving design. It can, however, only be installed outdoors.
- .82 EF with all copper heat exchanger
- 26 GPM minimum flow rate, 0.40 GPM minimum activation flow rate
- Overheat film wrap (OFW) to protect the heat exchanger
- Environmentally friendly; Ultra Low NOx burner meets SCAQMD requirements
- High-altitude capability – up to 9,840 ft. elevation above sea level
- You can run it anywhere, including locations at high altitudes.
- Saves space and energy
- Can only be installed outdoors.
- Takagi T-KJr2- IN-NG Indoor Tankless Water Heater, Natural Gas
Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG is one of the best reviewed tankless gas water heaters in the market right now and sits proudly at the first position in this list. It is a perfect option for houses with few people as it is not as powerful as the Rheem one, but is enough for two showers at a time. T-KJr2-IN-NG is a great value for your money keeping in mind its features. This spectacular machine by Takagi is the most convenient option for households whose requirements for hot water are not very high.
- Fuel consumption of 140,000 BTU
- Maximum flow rate of 6.6 GPM
- 4-Inch category III stainless steel venting required
- Comes with inlet & outlet thermistors allowing temperature monitoring continuously
- 81-0.83 energy factor
- Affordable and cost effective
- Efficient temperature monitoring
- Can meet your daily needs.
- Cannot meet high water requirements
- Rheem RTGH-95DVLN 9.5 GPM Indoor Direct Vent Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater
Rheem RTGH is a wonderful tankless water heater which allows you take showers, wash your dishes and do your laundry at the same time. It is a brilliant energy-saver as it is a condenser unit. This water heater is perfect for large requirements of hot water in a house, which is why it is a little more expensive.
Installing Rheem RTGH is fairly easy and it works swiftly. The heater has a reputation of providing a large amount of hot water at a time among its users.
- Easy to install and maintain due to self-diagnostic system
- Digital display
- Two-pipe direct ventilation especially intended for PVC pipes
- Comes with an electric blower
- Overheat Film Wrap (OFW)
- Can be assorted up to six units
- Capable of functioning up to an altitude of 9,840 ft. Above MSL
- Digital remote control
- Indoor models come with 120-volt power cords
- Protection from freezing up to -30F
- Energy saver.
- Great features.
- Can be installed easily.
- Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater and Outdoor Shower
Eccotemp L5 is the strongest tankless water heater in the present market. This portable water heater provides hot water almost anywhere, and it comes with a hose, a garden hose adapter, and an LP regulator along with a shower head. The heater operates on a 2D cell battery along with propane and is highly energy efficient.
It is one of the best and most compatible water heaters with an outdoor shower available. This model by Eccotemp may not be as popular as the FVI-12-LP model, but it is a better one at that.
- Portable Tankless Water Heater
- 4 GPM flow rate
- Runs on liquid propane fuel
- Utilizes 2D cell battery for ignition
- Very low flow rate of 0.3 LPM
- Requires a water pressure of 20-80 PSI
- Outdoor showers make for a fun experience
- Highly powerful, capable to power all your needs
- Energy efficient
- Is not very popular in the market yet
- Rinnai RL75iN Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater, 7.5 Gallons Per Minute
Rinnai RL75iN Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater allows its system to have a temperature setting of up to 160 F. The design and features of Rinnai RL75iN are comparable to that of the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus.
The water heater also has some disadvantages. For example, although it is capable of providing users with a speed of 7.5 gallons/minute, that is also the limit of the heater. However since this high flow rate is enough for a 2-3 bedroom home, or an apartment house, it can be overlooked. Rinnai RL75iN can allow up to three showers running at the same time without experiencing any drop-off in the temperature or pressure of the water.
- No fabrics
- 10,300 – 180,000 BTU
- Comes with a MC-91-1US Digital Controller and Error Code Indicator
- Thermal efficiency of 82%
- Temperature setting up to 140F in normal conditions
- Temperature setting up to 160°F if the controller is also bought separately with the model
- Powerful enough to run a house.
- Good power range to meet all your needs.
- Limited speed.
- Eccotemp FVI-12- LP High Capacity Propane Tankless Water Heater
The Eccotemp FVI-12-LP is an extremely popular choice and also it is more affordable. Eccotemp lives up to its reputation of delivering a good energy efficient tankless water heater in the market with its FVI-12-LP High Capacity model.
The only problem with this FLV-12-LP model is that it is not an effective option for supplying hot water to multiple fittings and appliances simultaneously. It is still a great option for people living alone though.
Its low price is the most tempting feature of Eccotemp FVI-12-LP High Capacity Propane Tankless Water Heater. The design of the model allows it to consume lesser fuels than other gas water heaters of the same capacity.
- UL certified
- No requirement of a battery
- Flow rate of 3.6 GSM in normal conditions
- Maximum pressure of 80 GSI
- Power ventilation system
- Very affordable.
- Uses a lesser amount of gas than the average heater.
- A great choice if you’re living alone.
- Not suitable for supplying water to multiple appliances.
- Marey Power Gas 10L Tankless Water Heater – Size (LPG)
This water heater model provides with an uninterrupted hot water supply while saving your energy. Marey Power Gas 10L Tankless can be installed very easily and comes with an auto ignition feature. The heater is able to heat up very quickly and uses fuel only when you’ve water flowing through it. Marey Power Gas 10L is available in two different variants – one for LPG and another one for Natural Gas.
- Digital display of temperature
- Compact design which saves space
- Extremely easy-to-install
- No need for electricity at all as it requires a 2D cell battery
- Consumes fuel only when water is flowing through it
- Heats up water fast.
- Easy installation.
- Varieties available- LPG and Natural Gas
- Affordable and cost effective over the longer run
- Can have problems with flow.
- Marey Power Gas 10L Digital Panel Tankless Water Heater- Size (LPG)
Marey Power Gas 10L Digital Panel Tankless Water Heater can supply your homes with endless hot water. The heater is highly efficient as it requires no electricity to run. It is very simple to install the Marey Power Gas 10L Digital Panel Tankless Water Heater, and it also comes with auto ignition.
The design and inside technology of the heater allows it to heat the water quickly. It utilizes gas only when the water is flowing to heat up. Marey Power Gas 10L Water Heater is also available in two variants – Natural Gas & LPG.
- Digital display of temperature
- Easy to install and space saving compact design
- Uses gas only while water is flowing
- Cost-effective, eco-friendly and saves a lot of water
- Does not need electricity as it operates on a 2D battery.
- Easy to install
- Available in two variants.
- Auto-ignition feature
- There have been cases reported where owners have received faulty products.
Tankless Gas Water Heater Buyer’s Guide – Which Tankless Water Heater Is the Right One For You?
Tankless water heaters are better than conventional water heaters in many ways – you get to enjoy an unlimited quantity of warm water at all times. They also consume less power and are very easy to maintain.
Tankless water heaters heat the water continuously as it flows in. It only heats the quantity of water as much as you need at a time – unlike the tanked water heaters, which first collects the water before heating it. This doesn’t just mean a judicious use of resources; it also ensures that you get warm water when you need one!
The demand for tankless water heaters is continuously growing, and there are countless options available from various brands to choose from. However, as with every other product on the market, some of them are better than the others. So, how do you know which one is right for you?
Things like family size, the water heater flow rate, fuel source, size and warranty should be considered before you make your final choice. It is important to purchase a tankless heater that is convenient for your specific needs. What is the size of your family? Do you live in an apartment or a large home? These are some questions that you need to ask yourself. Someone who lives in an apartment and doesn’t plan on using two or more sources to run hot water at the same time will not need the same gallons per minute (GPM) as let’s say a family of three or more. An average shower outputs anywhere from 2.5 to 3 GPM, while on the low scale (low flow showerheads) output 1.5 GPM. Keep in mind that the shower typically demands the most hot water when compared to other hot water sources like sinks which has a flowrate of 0.5 to 2.2 GPM.
You would also need to know about the different types of water heaters on the market to know which one will suit you better. Here is a look at a few things that can help you make the right choice.
The Two Types of Tankless Water Heaters
There are two types of tankless water heaters based on the method or source of their heating power.
- Tankless Gas Water Heaters
The best tankless gas water heaters are the tankless or on-demand water heaters where a gas burner is used to heat the flowing water. Natural gas or propane is used to heat water in these water heaters. The best tankless gas water heaters are mostly used in areas with unreliable electric supply or areas with frequent power outages. They are also frequently used regions with a higher availability of natural gas as it will be cheaper in those regions. It’s important to note that most tankless gas water heaters have to be installed outside.
- It is slightly cheaper to operate than Electric water heaters.
- No need to worry about power outages as they operate on Natural gas and propane so they can function anytime you want it to.
- Have higher flow rates than electric water heaters in all climates.
- Water heated by the best tankless gas water heaters remains warm for a longer time
- Difficult and expensive to install as they usually require a ventilation system.
- The operating costs rely greatly on the fuel prices.
- Produces excessive greenhouse gases.
- Tankless Electric Water Heaters
Tankless Electric Water Heaters are the ones which rely on electricity to heat the water. They do not need any special ventilation system unlike the best gas water heaters. Electric water heaters are more commonly used than gas water heaters due to their lower installation charge. They are also preferred in areas with less availability of Natural Gas.
- Cheaper to install.
- Is not affected by variations in fuel prices.
- No special ventilation required
- No maintenance required
- Prone to be affected by voltage fluctuations.
- More expensive to operate than the best gas water heaters
- Will not work without power; so may become useless in case of a power outage.
Tankless Gas Water Heater Vs Tankless Electric Water Heater
Although both are tankless or on-demand water heaters working by heating the water as they flow in, there are some differences in their functioning and operation.
The best gas water heaters use Natural gas or propane while Electric water heaters use electricity to heat the water flowing through them.
Tankless Gas water heaters are cheaper to operate than Electric ones, but the latter are cheaper to install and maintain.
While the operating cost of gas water heaters depend heavily on the prices of fuel in the market, the operating cost of electric water heater depends upon the power costs in the region.
It does not matter which one among the two you are using as one thing is for sure – tankless water heaters are easily far better than the conventional water heaters.
And since this guide focuses on the Gas variant of tankless water heaters, we are letting you know about some of the benefits of using them over the electric heaters.
Benefits of using Tankless Gas Water Heaters
- Tankless gas water heaters can be installed anywhere in your house as they do not have to be near any socket for drawing power to heat water.
- As prices of natural gas and sometimes even propane are lower than electricity in certain areas, they are cheaper to operate and perfect for budget homes.
- You get an unlimited supply of hot water on-demand as it does not heat water after storing it in tanks and doesn’t operate on electricity – so no need to worry about power outages.
- Tankless gas water heaters maintain a regular flow rate of water regardless of any climate.
- They come in a wider range of sizes than other tankless water heaters.
No need to bathe in cold water every day – these tankless gas water heater reviews are sure to help. Our top recommendation for large households is the Rinnai RUC98iN Ultra Series Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater. For small families or apartments we recommend the Eccotemp FVI-12- LP High Capacity Propane Tankless Water Heater. Lastly, for budget friendly options the Eccotemp FVI-12- LP High Capacity Propane Tankless Water Heater or Marey Power Gas 10L Tankless Water Heater may be just what you are looking for.
Now that you know all about tankless water heaters, which one of the above are you going to buy?